Monday 24 June 2013

Pre-prepared Apple Pie Filling


There’s something quite joyous whist strolling down an aisle, food shopping with a parent. Shopping for the household is seen as quite a stressful task, I however, tend to find it quite enjoyable on the rare occasion that I tag along. Perhaps it being because I’m not in the parental position. So down the dessert aisle of Waitrose I went, my dad some distance behind me leisurely pushing the trolley along. I then came across the wondrous creation that is ‘fruit filling’. That drive home, I spent my thoughts on the evolution of food products in the past 100 years, also wondering how else they may develop in the future.

I found this astonishing, is it just me? I've never heard of such a thing, but with today’s advances, surely it was only a matter of time until it filled the shelves. Pastry is one thing, but central to the pie is that wholesome, apple goodness, of which I believe should be produced in the hands of the cook! Tradition somewhat seems to be declining, though innovation is forcing through.

We’re not exactly inclined to do an awful lot of cooking in our teen years until we reach a mature age, and most of us certainly don’t. Including me. However, food is the basis of our lives, and in one moment I thought deeply about the complexity created which simply began from much more plainer, refined items, without the snazzy inventions of food companies nowadays, all mostly primarily produced for convenience.

Surely ‘pie perfection’ relates to a purely homemade effort, but I suppose our taste buds vary person to person when it comes to a good pie. Rich and fruity chunks of bramley apples under a butter enriched, sugar coated pastry is the foundation of a good one. Agreed? Well, finished off with that luxurious serving of the custard, of course. Bird’s Custard Powder, anyone?


M Chacko

4 comments:

  1. Thanks M! A thought provoking read.

    Your writing makes really good use of personal experience and anecdote to explore an important issue vital to the future of humanity!

    It certainly is scary to think of the future of food. Will it even be possible in a hundred years’ time to buy ‘ingredients’ or will all food be pre-packaged? Would anyone even know what to do with the ingredients if they could be bought?

    The crux of the matter seems to me to be this issue of convenience. As we are all expected to work harder and harder, and juggle more and more roles, responsibilities and interests (not to mention social lives), where are we supposed to find the time to prepare food with fresh ingredients? I know I’m struggling and I don’t even have kids or a particularly active social life! The result is that skills as basic and fundamental as cooking are being lost.

    As life gets easier, do we get stupider?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Indeed, I couldn't agree more.

    I don’t think it’s something we sit down to acknowledge in our day to day lives but it definitely is scary to think about when we do! I’d like to think this won’t happen, but I think what we’re just about calling ingredients now will, in the future, mostly be all pre-packaged. I find this extremely disheartening. Considering the use of good quality, home-grown produce is a part of many people’s livelihoods, and young people of today will not be able to recreate this in their later lives if things continue the way they are now.

    I understand ‘convenience foods’ are on the rise, but surely we’re not in need of even more?! What is this saying about society? It’s definitely got its negative effects, and more people are becoming increasingly lazy even if they’re not that busy! Also, the nutritional value of these foods are questionable, and I think are slightly accountable for the increase in diseases such obesity; another major issue!

    So yes, when we’re presented with the easier option, we all typically feel the need to take that route, don’t we? And it usually is the stupider option. But we are more or less in control with decisions such as these in their lives, and therefore need to take more responsibility to not threaten the future of our food! I suppose we’ll have to wait and see!

    M Chacko

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back memories about an apple pie text I once received.. Care to share it Maiya?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms Chacko,
    I believe that this pre-filled pie filling you speak of is beyond exciting, but I am behind you on keeping it traditional!

    I mean wheres the fun in using factory made filling for something as beautiful and treasured as an apple pie or crumble?

    In my opinion its a DIY job - thats how the cookie crumbles after all?
    Just think of when you pull that pie out of the oven and its steaming hot... you can stand back and fold your arms whilst inhaling in the goodness and be like "DAMN RIGHT I MADE THAT PIE"

    It all comes down to slef motivation? I mean I don't have anything against those who oppt for the simpler life, but I myself am one who enjoys a challenge, so mastering the 'perfect' apple pie would be somehting or a personal achievement to myself.

    Heres a recipe i've used when trying to get to the edge of glory with a homemade apple pie....

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/perfect_apple_pie_73735

    Happy baking...

    Despicable lea

    ReplyDelete